State of New Hampshire
Department of Corrections logo
New Hampshire Department of Corrections
Public | Business | Government | Search This Site

 About Us
 State Prisons
 Inmate Locator
 Contact Us
 Site Map

Resident Communications

Studies show that residents who maintain contact with friends and family throughout their incarceration
have a greater chance of rehabilitation and a lower risk of recidivism.

The New Hampshire DOC is committed to fostering that contact and offers several ways for residents to stay in touch with their friends and families.


link to more information about calling inmates


link to more information about emailing inmates


link to send mail


link to send package


link to more information about sending money


  • Phone Calls

Telephone calls are a privilege extended to residents to help them stay in touch with their friends and families. Calls can be made either pre-paid or collect by the resident. Residents are not able to receive incoming calls. Calls must be party to party, no 3-way calling or other alternative calling methods are allowed. The phone/tablet provider is Global Tel* Link. You can set up an account by visiting their website.

  • E-Mail

In today's modern society E-Mail has become a predominant method of communication. Individuals in our custody can send and receive email for a fee through one of the shared tablets available in all housing units or by purchasing their own tablet. Their email addresses are not posted or published by the department. Email accounts can be set up by visiting the vendor's website.

Who Pays?

The resident is responsible for the cost of both incoming and outgoing emails.

How Does it Work?

Shared tablets are available in all the housing units. The other option is that individuals in our custody may purchase their own tablet through the prison canteen. They do not have access to the internet. They receive and send emails through a secure and direct connection via their private network.

Can I Send Attachments?

Attachments are not allowed to be sent with e-mails. Emails are scanned and monitored by DOC staff.

How Can I Find Out More Information?

Call Global Tel Link at 1-877-650-4249.

Sending mail is probably one of the easiest ways to stay in touch. For security reasons there are a few restrictions on what may be included in a letter/postcard. To address mail to a residentyou should use the residents full name and ID number along with the address of the facility. Facility mailing addresses can be found on the facility page here.

What are the Mail Restrictions?

All incoming correspondence shall utilize standard stock stationary or standard stock plain postcards. No greeting cards, postcards from particular locations or featuring any type of printed design, picture, or depiction or unusually thick stationary shall be utilized for the correspondence. Incoming correspondence shall be written only in ink or pencil and shall not exhibit any drawings, stickers, or other depictions.

  • Sending Packages

You may not send packages to residents directly. All packages must be sent using a third-party vendor. The New Hampshire Department of Corrections Recreation Offices work with Union Supply Direct to buy items such as shoes, clothing, electronics, and other allowable items. You may also purchase pre-approved food items for C-2 and C-3 inmates once a year through Union Supply Direct during the Summer Incentive-Based Package Program. Family and friends can order property and summer packages online. Additionally, you may order by phone toll free at (877) 765-7012 or mail your order form to Dept.#605, P.O. Box 309, Groveport, OH 43125-0309.

Packages may be ordered online at As each area of a facility allows different items for security reasons, Please confirm with the resident what they are allowed to have prior to placing your order. If the resident does not know if they can have the item or not, please refrain from placing the order until you receive confirmation. The resident can speak with unit staff if they have questions regarding authorized items. Packages once received can not be stored or broken up. If a package received contains items they are not allowed to have, the entire package will be returned to the vendor.

  • Sending Money

Individuals in our custody can receive money in the mail in the form of a personal check or money order only and you must be an approved visitor. Electronic transfers can be facilitated through You may also visit one of the NHDOC correctional facilities where kiosks have been set up in publically accessible locations to accept deposits. You cannot send cash in the mail. The check or money order must be made payable to the Individual's name and identification number. Your name and complete return address should be written legibly on both the envelope and on the money order/check. The check or money order will be deposited into his or her account.

    • How Much Can I Send?

A resident is allowed to have a maximum of $1000 dollars in their account. If you send an amount that causes the inmates account to exceed that balance, he/she will have to send the difference back out to family.

    • Is There a Hold on Checks?

The DOC places a 30 day hold on personal checks. This is to ensure that checks clear before being credited to the residents account to be spent. Money Orders are not subject to a hold and will be deposited to a residents account within a few days of receipt.

nh | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Policy