Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

Log in


You are here: Home / Facilities / FAQ / Locating an inmate

Locating an inmate

by Nancy Burghart — last modified Jul 14, 2021 10:31 AM
How do I know where an inmate is housed?

You may check an inmate’s location and status on the Kansas Adult Supervised Population Electronic Repository (KASPER) located on the KDOC’s website. Information is updated daily, excluding weekends.

KASPER is a database which contains information about offenders sentenced to the custody of the Secretary of Corrections since 1980. KASPER contains information regarding those who are: currently incarcerated; under post-incarceration supervision; and, who have been discharged from a sentence. KASPER does not have information available about inmates sent to Kansas under the provisions of the interstate compact agreement.

The information contained in KASPER is public information under provisions of Kansas statute and is made available to the public and law enforcement in the interest of public safety. No names are removed from the database unless a conviction is removed from the public record by one of three ways: one, if the conviction is overturned by means of an appeal; two, if the conviction is expunged; or three, if an offender is granted executive clemency.

Through KASPER you can find:

  • Name and KDOC Registration Number;
  • Physical description (date of birth, height, weight, hair and eye color, body markings, including photograph);
  • Conviction description (crime(s) of conviction, county, case number);
  • Anticipated release date;
  • Inmate housing location (current location and facility movements, including movement dates, location of parole office maintaining supervision);
  • Custody or supervision level (Whether an offender has been released to post-incarceration supervision (parole, conditional release, post-release supervision, compact probation or parole); and,
  • Institutional disciplinary record (violations for which offender was found guilty).

Please note that release dates may change and are contingent upon good time and program credit earnings and forfeitures.

Specific questions regarding an inmate’s release date should be directed to the KDOC’s sentence computation unit at (785) 296-3317 or by e-mail.


Document Actions